Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Okie Dokie in Oklahoma

Last night we bedded down near Elk City, OK.  We came in late, about 8 pm local time. After battling the steady winds, we were blessed to have the manager come and help with "a second set of adult hands" as he put it. I appreciated the help as I always do. I don't depend upon it but won't turn it away! We knew going to bed there would be a slight chance of Severe Thunderstorms, so we prayed especially for protection. As the night passed, the chances increased. By 3 am, I woke up again to high winds and flashing sky. It was moving fast! I grabbed my phone and dialed Professor. I did not wait to hear his advice and woke up the children and got in the truck. I might have overreacted just a little. But it turns out i hadn't, the storm was growing and heading right for us.  As I was watching the sky, the storm didn't seem to get real close, but I could see it all around growing in intensity. Professor could see on the radar the storm cell breaking on our location, like a small hole. The Lord was truly protecting us!  We did not get even a drop of rain! About 6 am, rain started and stayed for 2 hours. We were able to pack up the inside of the tent and eat breakfast while the tent was drying out. The plains of Oklahoma are so breathtaking. I could live in this part of the country! But then there is the risk of tornadoes here
As we drove into OKC, we could see the recent damage. In fact, as we were driving on I-40, we saw some cattle escape a field through damaged fencing from the tornado. I quickly called 911 and reported it. A state trooper was being dispatched. You can see piles of steel where large buildings once stood. One photo is our campground. Another is the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment