Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Granola Time!

Every few weeks, I make a large batch of granola for the family. I think they would eat it everyday! I like to try different recipes, but this one is my old faithful. It is a cost effective non-oil recipe. I enjoy the full maple syrup varieties, but it is expensive to use pure maple syrup. No oil is healthier and lower calories. Try it and tell me what you think! One word of caution: use a strong blender or soften dates ahead of time by boiling in water for 10 minutes (making sure to drain water before adding to recipe).
Maple Nut Granola
By Neva Brackett's "7 Secrets" Cookbook
Combine in blender:
1 C water
1/2 C honey
1 T molasses
1 T vanilla
1 tsp maple flavoring
1 tsp salt
2 C pitted dates
1 C nuts (walnut, Brazil nut, peanut, or almonds)
Combine in bowl:
13 C old-fashioned oats
1-2 C quick oats, as needed
1/2 C shredded unsweetened coconut
1-2 C sliced almonds or other nuts
1 C raw hulled pumpkin seeds (we prefer green)
Add wet mixture. Thoroughly mix, adding extra quick oats if too wet, and spread onto two large cookie sheets. Place in oven overnight at 175F.

I will post a picture of finished product in the morning!
Well Kind Heart loves the granola! He is finishing his morning devotion CD, thus the ear buds!

No comments:

Post a Comment